tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 08 14:41:28 1998

Decimal numbers on the BoP poster (KBP)

As a followup to my own post, I can now add some new examples from the
"Klingon
Bird of Prey" cutaway poster which I just bought last night.

"Patrick Masterson" wrote:

: >>make decimal numbers (like 1.45)
: >
: >KGT p239  decimal point  vI'
:
: I know about the decimal point, but how would it be used?

There's an example of a decimal Stardate on SkyBox card S33. The English
translation for this sentence was lacking on the card for some reason, so I've
provided my own:

  HovpoH Hut vagh cha' wa' vI' jav Dujvam 'aghlu'pu' 'ach Qaw'lu'pu'
  [This ship was demonstrated on Stardate 9521.6 but it was destroyed.]

And from the new "Klingon Bird of Prey" poster (KBP) we have the following
measurements of the ship in various flight (leng) configurations:

  wejvatlh loSmaH loS vI' vagh wej 'uj 'aD Duj
  Length: 120 M
  ("The ship has a length of 344.53 ujes" etc.)

  loSmaH jav vI' Soch loS 'uj 'ab meH
  Bridge Height: 16.28 M
  ("The bridge measures 46.74 ujes.")

  HIvtaHvIS toQDuj cha'vatlh wejmaH Soch vI' vagh chorgh 'uj 'ab 'oH
  Attack Formation Height: 82.75 M
  ("When the BoP is attacking, it measures 237.58 ujes.")

  qughtaHvIS toQDuj HutmaH vI' jav wa' 'uj 'ab 'oH
  Cruise Formation Height: 31.56 M
  ("When the BoP is cruising, it measures 90.61 ujes.")

  SaqtaHvIS toQDuj wa'vatlh loS vI' jav chorgh 'uj 'ab 'oH
  Landing Formation Height: 36.46 M
  ("When the BoP is landing, it measures 104.68 ujes.")

Remember that Klingons measure length in {'ujmey} - 1 uj is about 35 cm.  Note
that these give *equivalent* measurements in both the Klingon and Federation
systems and are not literal translations of the other.  Also notice a few more
examples of the difference in usage between {'ab} and {'aD}, both of which
meaning "measure, have a length of":

   There are two words used for length: {'aD} and {'ab}. Both of these
   can be translated as "have a length of", but they are used somewhat
   differently. {'aD} is used in contrast with {juch} have a width of
   in measuring, say, a table top. {'ab}, on the other hand, is used for
   (potentially) longish, skinnyish things (for example, spears) and
   also for heights.  (MO on startrek.klingon BBS 10/97)

While discussing the BoP's science and remote sensing systems (QeD patmey noch
patmey je) we are told that at long range (chuq'a') its sensors are effective
at:

  jabbI'ID pup: Qapchu'meH 'aqroS chuq: cha' vI' chorgh loghqammey
  High Resolution - Maximum Effective Range - 3.5 Light Years

  jabbI'ID pupHa': Qapchu'meH chuq: chorgh vI' chorgh loghqammey
  Medium to Low Resolution - Effective Range - 11 Light Years

We knew that Klingons measure distance in kellicams {qelI'qam}, roughly equal
to 2 kilometers.  We now learn that the Klingon unit corresponding to the
Terran "light year" (LY) is the {loghqam}, equivalent to 1.25 LY.  BTW, if
someone wants to convert the {loghqam} into miles or kilometers per second,
they can do the math for me.

And finally a couple of other details:

  'aqroS qughDo: pIvlob Hut vI' vagh
  Maximum Crusing Speed - Warp 9.5

  cha' vI' vagh choQmey lutoghlu'
  Number of Decks: 2.5

: There aren't any combining forms, like -maH "tens", for tenths and
: hundredths.

You don't need to deal with tenths, hundreths, etc.  Just read off the string
of digits:  1.45 {wa' vI' loS vagh}.

- Voragh

P.S. I'll be posting more tidbits from the KBP poster as I find the time, real
life and my malfunctioning home computer permitting.  To whet your appetite,
you'll all notice the other new nouns:

  'aqroS maximum
  qughDo cruising speed
  choQ deck (ship)
  chuq'a'  long range

as well as the extensive use of {patmey} to refer to the various shipboard
"systems".

ngoDHommey tItIv!

Back to archive top level