tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 07 08:12:16 1998

Re: Yet more questions

"Patrick Masterson" wrote:

: >>make decimal numbers (like 1.45)
: >
: >KGT p239  decimal point  vI'
:
: I know about the decimal point, but how would it be used?
: There aren't any combining forms, like -maH "tens", for tenths and
: hundredths.

There's an example of a decimal Stardate on SkyBox card S33. The English
translation for this sentence was lacking on the card for some reason, so I've
provided my own:

  HovpoH Hut vagh cha' wa' vI' jav Dujvam 'aghlu'pu' 'ach Qaw'lu'pu'
  [This ship was demonstrated on Stardate 9521.6 but it was destroyed.]

You don't need to deal with tenths, hundreths, etc.  Just read off the string
of digits:  "Stardate nine five two one point six".  So in the original
question, just read 1.45 as {wa' vI' loS vagh}.

If the number is zero plus two decimal places (e.g. 0.25), then you have a
percentage and can use {vatlhvI'} instead:

  cha'maH vagh vatlhvI' Hong - QIt yIghoS!
  Slow to one quarter impulse power. ST5
  (lit. "Twenty five percent impulse power - proceed slowly!")

As before, Okrand gave the number as sort of a time stamp or topic at the
beginning of the sentence, then made a statement about it.  Whether this is
the
common pattern or simply a coincidence we can't say on the basis of only two
examples.

{vI'} must be distinguished from {DoD} "mark (in coordinates)":

  He pagh pagh pagh DoD cha' yInab!
  Plot course zero-zero-zero, mark two. ST5

Many people on this list also use {DoD} for the separator dot in email
addresses and URLs (e.g. "www.kli.org") and numbered paragraphs (e.g. "TKD
3.3.5").  We don't know which method the Klingons use, if any.

Note that {vI'} appears as an element in {vatlhvI'} "percent" (apparently
"hundredth").  Does this imply the existance of *{maHvI'} "tenth", *{SaDvI'}
"thousandth", etc.?  We don't know, and Maltz isn't talking.  Until he does,
it's best to stick with using attested methods if you want to be understood by
others.

Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level