tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 07 11:15:26 1998

Re: Seven of Nine

Quvar muHwI':
> This might sound rather Borgish but why not "(number) of
> (number)"? Is there an "of" in Hol? "Seven of Nine" perhaps?

Voragh:
> In Klingon this genitive would have to be {Hut Soch} "the
> nine's seven", which cannot be distinguished from the simple
> two digit sequence "nine seven".
> Alternatively you could say {Hut SochDIch} "the nine's
> seventh, seventh of (the) nine" -- but this isn't much better.

Qor'etlh:
: That actually seems like it might be easier to understand, although it
: makes less sense gramatically.

Why?  As in English, the head noun "Borg" has been dropped for brevity: she's
{Hut (*borgh[pu']) (*borgh) SochDIch} the "seventh (Borg) of the nine (Borgs)"
which comprised her local work group on the Borg Cube.

: On the show now, she is called "Seven".
: Do we translate that, then, as "Soch" (literally) or "SochDIch"?

Either one seems fine to me.  Since Klingons don't use numbers as names
either,
her Borg designation - and her stubborn insistance on keeping it - would seem
just as queer to them as it does to us.  Though, if she had been captured by a
Klingon crew and by some miracle not been immediately executed, they might
well
call her {Soch puqbe' Hut} "Seven, daughter of Nine" Klingon-style as a joke
whether she liked it or not.  Klingons are unlikely to indulge the personal
preferences of a prisoner.  In fact, that's what they would probably call her,
if anything: {qama'} "prisoner".

Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level