tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 26 10:37:28 1998

Re: Beginner's question

: Mark Eidemiller  wrote:
: >           I've seen the translation to "Today is a good day to die,"
: > but I have a variation I'd like to learn.  The phrase is: "Today is a
: > good day to die to the flesh" -- flesh can be substituted for self,
: > self-will, self-pleasure, self-desire, etc.
:
: Another difficulty is that the Klingon word for flesh is /Ha'DIbaH/
: the same word as "meat" or "animal," so it would sound like you were
: talking about an animal dying.  In other words, in English "flesh" is
: a good and traditional ("the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak")
: stand-in for earthly desires and concerns, but in Klingon it's a poor
: choice.
:
: Qov - Beginners' Grammarian

Agreed.  Furthermore, referring to a person as {Ha'DIbaH} is a common insult:

  "Meat of any kind is called {Ha'DIbaH}, which is also the normal term
   for animal (and also an insult when used in reference to a person)."
  (KGT p.87f)

It is glossed "dog, cur, inferior person (slang)" in the KGT glossary. In
KCD, the phrase {verengan Ha'DIbaH} "Ferengi dog" is used.  In the
explanation, Okrand calls this "a classic insult" and continues:

  "This phrase literally means 'Ferengi animal', but translating it as
  'Ferengi dog' carries more of the flavor of the insult." (KCD)

Here are four more examples from the movies and episodes:

  Kruge sneeringly called his gunner {Ha'DIbaH} after blasting him with
  his disruptor, after he had destroyed the USS Grissom instead of merely
  disabling it as ordered. (ST3)

  Worf's father has been accused of having aided the Romulans in attacking
  the Khitomer Outpost. When K'mpec reveals to Worf that the traitor was
  in fact Duras' father, Ja'rod, Worf points at Duras and shouts, "This
  {Ha'DIbaH} should have been fed to the dogs!" (TNG: Sins of the Father)

  Duras and Gowron are both anxious to fight each other for leadership of
  the High Council. Before that can be done, Picard must, as Arbiter of
  Succession, formally name them both as candidates. As Picard enters the
  conference room, Duras says:  "The Council must have a leader now!
  Complete the rite so I can kill this *Ha'DI baH*!" (TNG: Reunion)

  Jadzia Dax is persuading Kor to convince Kang and Koloth to take her
  with them to a trip of vengeance. Kor claims he can't convince Kang if
  he has made his mind, but Jadzia says he can. Kor self-pityingly says
  his best days are behind him. Jadzia comforts him, saying that in her
  memories he is a great warrior, and leaves. Kor, touched and almost in
  tears, mutters: "You devious little *hadeebah*." (DS9: Blood Oath)

To avoid giving unintentional offence, I would contrast the spirit {qa'}
with the body {porgh}. Of course if you *want* to offend, by all means use
{Ha'DIbaH} -- but first make sure you're carrying your {Daqtagh} in case you
need it!

--
Voragh                           "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons     lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level