tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 26 07:53:37 1998

Re: KLBC - Ha'DIbaH pub loDHom

: And, don't forget in TKW p32:
:   tujpa' qul pub SuvwI' 'Iw.
:   "A warrior's blood boils before the fire is hot."
: The warrior's blood is boiling here. It is not boiling something else.
:
: Gee, did I get this in before voragh beat me to it?
:
: charghwI'

Sorry, I've been very busy this week (we're upgrading all the computers at
work from OS/2 to Windows NT).

To make up for my inattentiveness, and for the sake of completeness, here is
Okrand's commentary:

  "This proverb suggests that it is better to take the initiative than to
  simply react to situations. Blood, the controller, does not need an
  external influence in order to heat up; one need not draw strength from
  the outside." (TKW p.32)

And one more mention of {pub} in KGT:

  "If heat is used as part of food preparation, the cook is most likely
  to {mIQ} (deep-fry) the food. This involves first acquiring {tlhagh}
  (animal fat) from any available source and then heating it up so that it
  boils (the general word for boil is {pub}, but the verb used specifically
  to refer to the boiling of fat is {'Im} [render]). After it has been
  boiling for a while, the food to be fried is tossed in (sometimes having
  been coated in some kind of paste), and it stays there until it has soaked
  up as much of the {tlhagh} (fat) as possible." (KGT p.93)

As for {mIQ}:

  "Experienced cooks will {mIQ} (fry) the {DIghna' por} (digna leaf), though
  this is risky, since if the leaf is heated for too long, it will wilt."
  (KGT p.94)

  to'waQ mIQ vutwI'
  The cook deep-fries the tendon.  (KGT)

{'Im} was not used in any examples.

Hmmm... these seem to indicate that {pub}, {mIQ} and {'Im} can also be
transitive.  That is, they are things the cook does to the food.

> One of the foodstuffs mentioned on an audiotape is {pubtaHbogh ghargh HIq}
> "boiling wormwine".  {pub} "boil" here apparently describes something which
> is boiling, not someone or something which brings something to a boil.  In
> the sentence above, I think {pubmoH} is the right word.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

The full quote, for those curious:

  pubtaHbogh ghargh HIq vItlhutlh.
  I will drink boiling wormwine.  (PK)

This is clearly intransitive: "wormwine which continually boils".

Are these three more "bi-transitive" verbs (i.e. either transitive or
intransitive, depending on the particular usage)?  Note that none of them
have been used with {-moH} by Okrand.

--
Voragh                           "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons     lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level