tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 06 17:12:37 1998

Re: KLBC Some slightly complex stuff

---Matthew Peperell <[email protected]> wrote:

> During free time I've had recently I've tried composing a few
sentences in
> klingon, but I've been a bit more adventurous than I have been in
the past.
> Hopefully the mistakes I'll be making will have reduced in number.
>
> nuq DeleghlaH? What can you see?

That prefix should be /Da-/.  Be careful to pronounce the vowels in
the prefixes clearly.  Saying quhlegh instead of qalegh is considered
sloppy by educated Klingons.

> wej He quv vIleghlaHbe'.  I cannot yet see the deserted road.

/wej/ means "not yet" so be using /wej/ and /-be'/ you're saying "can
not yet not see."  Also /quv/ is "honoured," not "deserted."

wej He chIm vIleghlaH.
It could also mean, "I see three deserted routes."  Cope.

> not Hevetlh vIyIt. I never walk on that road.

To expres the idea of "on" you need the locative suffix /-Daq/.  It's
a type-5 noun suffix.  Read about it in section 3.3.5.

not HevetlhDaq jIyIt.

> DaH yIQan 'ej' bIlegh. Stand up and look at me!

"stand up" and "look at me" are both imperatives, so they both need
imperative prefixes.  The imperative for "at me" is /HI-/.
"Stand" is /Qam/, not /Qan/.  That's "protect."
In canon a conjunction is often omitted between imperatives:

DaH yIQam!  HIlegh!

/yIQam/ just means "stand."  If you want to make it clear that it is
"stand up," that is *change* to a standing position, you can use the
type 3 (section 4.3.3) verb suffix /-choH/.  /yIQanchoH

> (would tu' be a better verb to use?)

Not /tu'/.  Another choice is /bej/, depending on the meaning you want.

> reH QIt yIjIt. I always walk slowly.

I'm sure you meant /jIyIt/.

> rol tIq vIghaj. I have a long beard.

In canon examples Klingons don't talk about "having" a body part.
Better would be: /tIq rolwIj/  - my beard is long.

> tIq rolwIj. My beard is long. (I wanted to say the same thing in a
different
> way)

Grin.  As you did.

> pIj SoSpu'chaj lobHa' puqpu'. Children often disobey their parents.

This is grammatically correct, but just says "mothers."  We don't know
a generic Klingon word for parent.  You'd have to say /pIj SoSpu'chaj
vavpu'chaj joq lobHa' puqpu'./

Note /joq/.  They often disobey one or the other or both.

You're doing well with suffixes and word order.  Try making up some
sentences to practice your verb prefixes.

==

Qov - Beginners' Grammarian