tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 29 01:07:56 1998

Re: More Isreali celebration

From: WestphalWz <[email protected]>

>veng Dab tIqwIj 'ach Hatlh Dev nIv vIDab jIH.

"My heart resides in the city, but I inhabit the <something>."  You've got
{Dev} and {nIv} together in a way which I cannot reconcile.  {Dev} means
"lead."  What's it doing here?

>Soj vISoptaHvIS chay' jIHvaD 'ey?  chay' jIHvaD wIbHa'?

This works, I suppose, but only if you're expecting an adverbial as an
answer.  This has to do with the funny workings of {chay'}.

>*Edom* mIr bIngDaq QottaHvIS *Tsion* 'ej *Arab* mIrmeyDaq jIQottaHvIS, (1)

You never included this footnote.  "While Tsion lies above Edom's chain and
while I lie on (the) Arab('s/s') chains."  Not only do I have no idea what
these things are, I'm confused about who's doing exactly what.

>chay' HoSchemHeyvamvo' jImejlaH 'ej chay' 'IpmeywIj vIchavlaH?

"How can I leave these apparent energy fields, and how can I achieve my
oaths?"  This is perfectly grammatical, and utterly meaningless to me.

>*Spain*Daq QaQbogh Dochmey law' tu'lu'

{lutu'lu'}, of course, but lots of Klingons do that anyway.

>'ach jIHvaD Hoch Dochmeyvetlh vIwoDbogh Qu' ngeD law' Hoch ngeD puS,

"But for me, the all-those-things-which-I-throw-away's task is the easiest
of all."  Since I don't know what this is supposed to mean, I can't suggest
an alternative, even though what you have written is grammatical.  It looks
very much like you need to use a {-ghach}'d word.

>lulIgh rurbogh yoS lamHom leghtaHvIS mInDu'wIj, tev nIv 'oH wanI'vam'e'.

"The district which resembles rides it while my eyes see a bit of dirt, this
event is a superior prize."
"The bit bit of dirt district which resembles ride it while my eyes see,
this event is a superior prize."

Meaningless to me.  I suggest that when translating song, you worry almost
exclusively on the exact meaning, one line at a time.  If you're not
agonizing over each word and each line, making sure it works just right,
then you're doing something wrong.  In order to keep the meaning and flavor
of the original, you're almost always going to end up with a slightly
changed structure to the words.

SuStel
Stardate 98323.6

Back to archive top level