tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 29 23:29:17 1998

Re: More Isreali celebration

In a message dated 98-04-29 04:12:21 EDT, SuStel analyzes peHruS' translation
of Jehudah Halevi's poem:

<<
 >veng Dab tIqwIj 'ach Hatlh Dev nIv vIDab jIH.

 "My heart resides in the city, but I inhabit the <something>."  You've got
 {Dev} and {nIv} together in a way which I cannot reconcile.  {Dev} means
 "lead."  What's it doing here?

Obviously, typos are horrible monsters.  This should have been {Deb nIv}.

peHruS

 >Soj vISoptaHvIS chay' jIHvaD 'ey?  chay' jIHvaD wIbHa'?

 This works, I suppose, but only if you're expecting an adverbial as an
 answer.  This has to do with the funny workings of {chay'}.

 >*Edom* mIr bIngDaq QottaHvIS *Tsion* 'ej *Arab* mIrmeyDaq jIQottaHvIS, (1)

 You never included this footnote.  "While Tsion lies above Edom's chain and
 while I lie on (the) Arab('s/s') chains."  Not only do I have no idea what
 these things are, I'm confused about who's doing exactly what.

That's "below the chains of Edom and in the chains of the Arabs."  The
original translation by Nina Salaman from Hebrew into English uses "fetters of
Edom".  It is Tsion which is lying beneath the fetters and in chains.  FYI,
Tsion is another name for Jerusalem.

peHruS

 >chay' HoSchemHeyvamvo' jImejlaH 'ej chay' 'IpmeywIj vIchavlaH?

 "How can I leave these apparent energy fields, and how can I achieve my
 oaths?"  This is perfectly grammatical, and utterly meaningless to me.

I have observed that Star Trek episodes use "energy fields" to contain so-
called prisoners.  Here, Jerusalem herself wishes to escape from containment
in order to fulfill her oath to the Jewish people, who have now been in a
diaspora for nearly 1,000 years.

peHruS

 >*Spain*Daq QaQbogh Dochmey law' tu'lu'

 {lutu'lu'}, of course, but lots of Klingons do that anyway.

 >'ach jIHvaD Hoch Dochmeyvetlh vIwoDbogh Qu' ngeD law' Hoch ngeD puS,

 "But for me, the all-those-things-which-I-throw-away's task is the easiest
 of all."  Since I don't know what this is supposed to mean, I can't suggest
 an alternative, even though what you have written is grammatical.  It looks
 very much like you need to use a {-ghach}'d word.

The original English says "A light thing it would be for me to leave all the
good things of Spain".  The Hebrew is "yakel beeynai azov khol-tuv sefarad".

peHruS

 >lulIgh rurbogh yoS lamHom leghtaHvIS mInDu'wIj, tev nIv 'oH wanI'vam'e'.

 "The district which resembles rides it while my eyes see a bit of dirt, this
 event is a superior prize."
 "The bit bit of dirt district which resembles ride it while my eyes see,
 this event is a superior prize." >>

Here, I suggest you don't try to force {lulIgh} to be a verb.  It is a noun!!!

peHruS

Back to archive top level