tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 28 08:21:12 1998

Re: QoywI' tojbogh SoQ

From: WestphalWz <[email protected]>

>In a message dated 98-04-25 21:11:35 EDT, SuStel analyzes peHruS' post
about
>Einstein and his chaffeur:
>
>>>loghmey law' SoQlIj vIQoypu'.   (1)
>>
>> "Your speech(es) of many spaces"?
>
>(1) Recently I have seen many uses of time words pluralized, even
abstracted.
>I tried it here, too.  {loghmey law'} has nothing to do with "space(s)".

Oohhhhh, I get what you're trying to do.  No, that doesn't work at all.
{-logh} is a number suffix, not a word.  Unless there's slang that I don't
remember, the correct way to talk about "many times" is {pIj}.

>>>ghelpu'bogh nuvpu'vaD jangchu' je ghaH.  (2)
>>
>> I'd say {ghelbogh
>> nuvpu'vaD jangchu'}.  Better yet, {luyu'bogh nuvpu'vaD jangchu'}. >>
>
>(2)  I cannot [now] accept that {yu'} means anything less than "interrogate
[a
>prisoner, e.g.], question [someone]".  Perhaps it was before you joined
this
>listserv that discussion already determined that it is not appropriate for
>"ask [a question]".

But that's just what they were doing: asking him questions.  Interrogating.
You don't have to be a prisoner to be interrogated.  I don't know how you
think this list "determined" what {yu'} really means, but if someone asks a
series of questions and expects to receive the answers, that's {yu'}.  Sure,
it has a severe feel about it because of the English word, and Klingons may
also have the severe feel about it (which may explain why the word was
chosen), but to a Klingon (and it IS their language we're speaking) this
would hardly be considered uncomfortable.

SuStel
Stardate 98323.1

Back to archive top level