tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 27 22:13:31 1998

Re: QoywI' tojbogh SoQ

In a message dated 98-04-25 21:11:35 EDT, SuStel analyzes peHruS' post about
Einstein and his chaffeur:

<< >loghmey law' SoQlIj vIQoypu'.   (1)

 "Your speech(es) of many spaces"?

 <<pe'>>

ghelpu'bogh nuvpu'vaD jangchu' je ghaH.  (2)

 With aspect here, it *could* be argued that you've got it right, but I see
 the aspect as talking about something which happened before the speech.
 Asking questions is a dynamic thing, not something which happens in its
 entirety and then stops, before the answer comes.  Thus, I'd say {ghelbogh
 nuvpu'vaD jangchu'}.  Better yet, {luyu'bogh nuvpu'vaD jangchu'}. >>

choquvmoH, SuStel.  jabbI'IDwIj Dapojpu'mo' qatlho'.  qeSlIj vIQoytaHvIS
qechmey pIm vIngach:

(1) Recently I have seen many uses of time words pluralized, even abstracted.
I tried it here, too.  {loghmey law'} has nothing to do with "space(s)".

(2)  I cannot [now] accept that {yu'} means anything less than "interrogate [a
prisoner, e.g.], question [someone]".  Perhaps it was before you joined this
listserv that discussion already determined that it is not appropriate for
"ask [a question]".

peHruS

Back to archive top level