tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 16 20:27:38 1998

Re: qaD chu'

ja' Qermaq:
>A quick count of all the 3-letter palindromes in my compiled dictionary
>shows that 61 of the possible 105 letter combinations are defined at least
>once.

Don't forget, {wow} and {wuw} are illegal.  TKD page 17: "No words in
Klingon have {ow} or {uw}."  So there are actually only 103 possible
3-letter palindromes.

I got 51 of them without spending too much time on it, and missed twelve.
[Actually, I got 52, but one of them wasn't really a word.  I need to go
back and work on my {-w'}s.]  Most of the ones I didn't get probably would
have come to me eventually.

But that's 63 total; someone's count is off.

>To be fair - her's how many per consonant.
>
>b - 0 ch - 4 D - 2 gh - 4 H - 4
>j - 4 l - 2 m - 3 n - 4 ng - 2
>p - 4 q - 3 Q - 3 r - 3 S - 5 t - 3
>tlh - 3 v - 2 w - 1 y - 2 ' - 3

That adds up to 61, but your count differs from mine on some letters.
My word list says {q} and {'} each have 4, not 3.

That was a fun exercise.  I would certainly have recognized all but one
of the words I missed had I seen them in context; now I'll remember that
one too.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level