tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 11 12:22:23 1998

RE: Hi all - KLBC kindly check my grammar.

At 23:07 98-04-10 -0700, Ken wrote:

}*Kalos* *qeylos* joq 'oH pongwIj'e'.
}roD *StarTrek* vItIv.
}*trekie* jIH 'e' vIHarbe'.
}loSmaH ben jIbogh 'ej cha' puqpu' vIghaj.

{loSmaH ben jIboghpu'} is the correct way to say this, posibly unless today
is your actual birthday.  It can be justified logically, and it is the canon.

}Hol chu' vIDajtaH

{Daj} is "be interesting," not "be interested in."  Say {jIHvaD Daj Hol chu'}.

}ej' pIj *Quenya* vIleghpu'.

{'ej}, I'm sure that's a typo.

}jIHvaD tagh *The Final
}Reflection* *Ford* paq.

Ok, I can understand the object of {tagh} here as being "the phenemenon" or
"the interest."

}tagh 'e' batlh je.

You were doing so well.  What happened here? "honour started it too" has one
verb with a subject and no object.  The SAO construction is unneeded.
How about {tagh je batlh} "the honour started it, too."  Note that when {je}
means "also" it follows the verb.  Consider the verb {pIlmoH} "inspire" from
KGT, too.

}tay'mo' Hol chu' batlh je ...

maj.  Good use of a Klingon construct.

}... vIDaytaH. vIghojtaH.

I assume "Day" is a typo for {Daj}.  Same problem as above with the meaning.

You could just say {tay'mo' Hol chu' batlh je Dajbej} "The combination of
honour and a new language certainly made it interesting."  (Literally:
Because a new language and honour were together it was certainly interesting.)

}I am not very good at this so I am sure (and hope) that we may see
}corrections.

Not bad.  Minor things, a word misuse and a stray {'e'}.

}HoSmaj ghurmoH nuHoHbe'bogh wanI'

:)

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian