tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 11 12:22:23 1998

Re: KLBC: naming everyday things...

At 08:04 98-04-11 -0700, Chris wrote:
}Hi,
}
}I'm kinda new to thlIngan Hol, having recently (last two days) gotten the
}language lab, and the Klingon Dictonary.

majQa'.  There have beeen a *lot* of new Klingonists in the last few days.
Was there a con or a show or something that inspired you?

}Now, while a lot of fun, both these
}sources assume that I am on some sort of starship, and go to great pains to
}explain how to request that one or more minions activate/engage the warp
}drive etc.

Very well stated.  We know the feeling. :)

}This unfortunately means I have a distinct lack of findable
}vocab to deal with everday human things and tasks to practise with.

I practiced at first by roleplaying and writing stories in which I was a
Klingon.

}Given that I am trying to find out what my car is called in thlIngan Hol
}(other than veQ that is.)

Car is a biggie that is missing, especially as so many Klingon speakers are
American, and Americans are *so* car dependent.  (pe'Ij *Europe*nganpu': roD
*American* vengmeyDaq, Hemey retlhDaq yItmeH Hemey lutu'lu'be' jay'!  yItmo'
pagh'e' yItmeH He chenmoHlu'be'.}

}my first guess would be something along the lines
}of:
}
}lupwI'
}vehicle / thing that transports
}
}or, in my case, prehaps even:
}lupwI'HomwI'
}my small vehicle.

Excellent logic. On one of the audiotapes {lupwI'} refers to a "jitney," a
small bus.  {lupwI'Hom} I would understand easily as a personal transport.
A bit of context should indicate what you are talking about. Even in English
"car" can refer to one of the wagons pulled by a train, a unit in a roller
coaster or a ski gondola ... context tells us which you mean.

Note that unless your car is the intelligent talking from the TV show Knight
Rider, that {-wIj} is the correct possessive suffix.  {lupwI'HomwIj}  "my car."

You'll see other words on this list to describe cars.  Sometimes {Duj} is
used pretty generically as "vehicle," but that's just us.  I think
{lupwI'Hom} is better.

}Satlho' (thank you?)

qar.  majQa'.  I look forward to seeing more from you.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level