tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 08 14:44:06 1998

RE: tis the season KLBC

Qov discusses "He is risen"
>> I expect that some would argue against {pep}, preferring
>> {HeghHa'} or {yInqa'} - I kind of like {yInqa'} myself - but
>> {pep} for me evokes the same image of literally lifting up
>> as "rise" does.
>
> I do agree that the idea of rising is quite important, but I don't
> think {pep} works for it. {pep} is glossed as "raise", which (if I
> remember my English correctly) can only mean raising something
> else. {pep'egh} would work quite well though. There is also {Sal}
> ("ascend"), although that might be reserved for the event a few
> days later when he "ascends into heaven". If {Sal} does not work,
> {ghIrHa'} could also be considered.

That was nagging in the back of my mind as I posted.  I couldn't
quite remember the exact gloss on {pep}.  For some reason the
sentence {betleH pepmoH} was lodged in my mind and I decided to trust
it. yuDlaw' DujwIj.  Now I see where the original poster was going
with {peplu'}.  Hmm.  Let me follow up on this when I have access to
reference materials beyond my inconstant brain.

Qov

Back to archive top level