tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 02 14:27:56 1998

Re: KLBC: qech ngo'

In some languages the "idea of a sphere" would be written two different
ways: the subjective one being "of" (the sphere is having an idea); and the
objective one being "about" (i.e. "the idea about a sphere" which doesn't
sound right in English).

>Interesting. So, does Klingon have something like an objective genitive - I
>don't know the correct English term, the Latin term would be "genitivus
>obiectivus" ?For example the Latin "amor parentum" could either mean "the
>parents' love" (genitivus subiectivus) or "the love to the parents" (genitivus
>obiectivus).
>Even the English "of"-phrase is ambiguous. At school we learnt that only people
>can have an "s"-genitive, things  _always_  have the "of"-genitive. "the man's
>idea" - "the idea of a man" is clear, but "the idea of a sphere" is ambiguous.
>Some will say now "How can a sphere have an idea?" I didn't see any ambiguity,
>either, but Qov obviously does.
Ben Stevens - Web Admin
 Mansfield University Student Web
   http://mustuweb.mnsfld.edu/