tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 29 07:51:46 1996

Re: KLBC - Trick or Treat

SojnobHom HInob pagh qatojqang!

Thanks for catching that. I had written it down wrong
and then copied it from the paper without thinking.

>Why not "yuch"?  How about DaH yuch HInob!
>Give me chocolate NOW!

I still want to convey the thought of the "trick"
portion of the greeting. And besides, some people
don't give chocolate!

What about the use of the <qang> suffix? My intent
here is that the masked individual is willing to
do a trick as opposed to definitely doing a trick.
I would have used:

SojnobHom chonobbe'chugh vaj qatojbej!

(A quick question, could I have used HI instead of cho?)

Of course I could have used the <bej> suffix on the first
greeting as well. But as I already said, my intent
was to convey the willingness to trick.

A friend just suggested that I use <jaj>

So it would be:

SojnobHom HInob pagh qatojjaj!

One last question, is the original expression
"I will trick you if you don't give me a treat"
or
"I won't trick you if you give me a treat"
or
"You choose, I trick you or you give me a treat"
or
some other permutation.

Marc

wa'Hu' jIboghbe'