tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 24 22:35:23 1996

Re: Unspecified head nouns

Bill Willmerdinger writes:
>Could one of you pabpo'pu' explain for the rest of us what is so bad about
>this?  It seems clear enough to me what {Dajatlhbogh vIyajbe'} means... am I
>missing something?

Does it mean "you who speak" or "[something] which you speak"?
The ambiguity is not insurmountable, but every other example of
{-bogh} has an explicitly stated head noun.

If (as SuStel has suggested) this audio clip indeed is not used
in the Language Lab, I would consider it the equivalent of a
scrap of paper stuck to the side of a notebook.  It might even
conceivably be missing a word or two at the beginning.  If it's
not actually used anywhere, I'm not going to use it as permission
to use headless relative clauses.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level