tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 25 13:55:32 1996

RE: Unspecified head nouns

jatlh Qob:

<<<
>  (Which means I should get  around to reading Christian
> Lehmann's 1000-page German monograph on  relativisers. *sigh*)

Could one of you pabpo'pu' explain for the rest of us what is so bad about
this?  It seems clear enough to me what {Dajatlhbogh vIyajbe'} means... am I
missing something?

I'm not a {pabpo'} (as I understand the term), but I got excited because this
is the only example where there is a relative clause ({-bogh}) without a head
noun.  It's been occasionally tried by newbies, and the rest of us have always
said, "I don't know if you can do that.  I don't think so.  Why not put {Doch}
or {Qu'} or whatever else may be appropriate in here for the head noun?  Or
recast the sentence?"  We may have been wrong.

SuStel
Stardate 96816.4

Back to archive top level