tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 24 22:16:11 1996

Re: Kordite's Metal Things

>Looking at it, I'm not sure if it works... "Kordite's things' metal" or "the
>metal of the things of Kordite" would be the expansions of the noun-noun-noun
>construction.  If {baS] were a verb "be metal" I wouldn't have a problem with
>{qorDayt Dochmey baS}, but {baS} is a noun....  Maybe {qorDayt baS Dochmey}?
>"The things of the metal of Kordite"?

I may be totally on a wrong track here, but why not:
qorDayt DochbaSmey (or baSDochmey, whatever suits best)
page 19 of my TKD says:
"Compound nouns consist of two or three nouns in a row,
much like English earthworm (earth plus worm) or password
(pass plus word). For example, {jolpa'} transport room consists
of {jol} transport beam plus {pa'} room."

In the same line, metal-thing would be baSDoch (or if you want to
emphasize the metal part of the things, DochbaS (thing-metal))
And a -mey for plural at the end.

I am ofcourse making a fatal linguistic error here :) Can anyone
point it out to me?

jejQIb

Back to archive top level