tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 24 08:11:30 1996

Re: Par'Mach is a Canonical

> >qatlh Holna' rurbe' tlhIngan Hol? (Why doesn't Klingon resemble a real
> language?)
> Dochvam vIjatlhbe' (I didn't say THAT)
>
> >chay' "Star Trek" wuv tlhIngan Hol? (How does tlhIngan Hol depend on Star
> Trek?)
>
> qatlh tlhIngan Hol ghoj ghotpu'? "Star Trek"
> (why do people study Klingon?"Star Trek" )
    Qo'.  "Star Trek" vIparHa'bej, 'ach meqvammo' tlhIngan Hol tIgh je vIHaD
'e' vItemqu'!  batlh vIparHa'mo' tlhIngan Hol vIHaD.  "Star Trek" vIparHa'law'.
batlh vIparHa'qu' jay'!  tlhIngan Hol vItu'choHDI' vISaHbe', 'ach "TKW" vIlaDDI'
batlh vIlegh 'ej SuvwI'na' tIq moj tIqwIj.  latlh meqmo' tlhIngan Hol vIHaD.
HolQeD vIparHa', 'ej jItaQ vIparHa'.  'ach meq wa'DIch 'oH batlh'e'.  Saghchu'
jabbI'Idvam.  jIQujbe', tIqwIj vIcha'.

SKI:  Bull. I first saw Hol as a minor curiosity, but when I got hold of TKW, I
was so struck by the Klingon concept of honor that I was sucked in.  I like
Star Trek, sure, but honor is the most important thing to me.  I also study it
somewhat for linguistic curiosity and wierdness factor, but honor would be
sufficient without those.  I am dead serious here, I am not playing a persona,
I am "showing you my heart".

> [As amusing as the "SKI" tag may be, in a world where real impairment
> is a serious issue, I'll bet some people may not find it funny.  Why
> not just be polite and provide a translation and leave it at that?]
    tlhaQlu'DI', vay' maw'lu'bej.  ta'laHchu'ghach wItIch 'e' wIHechbe'ba'.
Dogh bepwI'vam.

SKI:  No matter what you do, *somebody* is going to be offended.  We are not
*trying* to insult the disabled.  Get over it.

   A final note:  in my mind at least, tlhIngan Hol and culture exists almost
completely independent of Star Trek.  It is attached more to my notions of
chivalry and honor gleaned from medieval studies.  I do not even watch Star Trek
on any kind of a regular basis, because I don't have cable and can't get any of
the local stations that carry it, but my interest in tlhIngan Hol is
undiminished in what, according to Joel, ought to be a vacuum of inspiration.

taDI'oS vIq, law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
|  Thaddaeus A. Vick, Linguist to the Masses   | mailto: [email protected]  -or-  |
|                                              |         [email protected]     |
|  gules, on a saltire argent voided azure,    |                              |
|  thirteen mullets of the second. Yeeha.      |  http://www.crl.com/~dvick   |