tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 24 07:18:20 1996

Re: Par'Mach is a Canonical

>   >> Like it or
>   >>not, tlhIngan Hol as a real constructed language exists with or
>   >>without Star Trek to support it -- or to interfere with it, as
>   >>the case may be.

>   >Well, no, it doesn't.

>   vuDvam yIQIj. (Explain this opinion!_

ghobe'. ngoD 'oH.  (No. It is a fact.)

>qatlh Holna' rurbe' tlhIngan Hol? (Why doesn't Klingon resemble a real
language?)
Dochvam vIjatlhbe' (I didn't say THAT)

>chay' "Star Trek" wuv tlhIngan Hol? (How does tlhIngan Hol depend on Star
Trek?)

qatlh tlhIngan Hol ghoj ghotpu'? "Star Trek"
(why do people study Klingon?"Star Trek" )
'Iv tlhIngan paqmey ngev? "Star Trek"
(who sells Klingon books? "Star Trek" aka Paramount)
'Iv tlhIngan Qujmey ngev?  "Star Trek"
(who sells Klingon games? "Star Trek" aka Paramount)

>HIjang! (Answer me!)

Constructed languages draw from a community of interest that
use/study/extend the language for some REASON.  World peace, or
participation in a special kind of community, getting a chance to
flesh out an imaginary world.  While there is a diverse community of
people interested in tlhIngan Hol, the overriding *DRAW* is the milieu
of a science fiction environment, namely Star Trek.  Were the "Star
Trek" association somehow removed from tlhIngan Hol it would no
doubt persist - but not to the degree it does today.

I certainly believe tlhIngan is a real language - as I tell people
"it is as real as Disneyland", which usually gets a laugh, but
the point is - "just because something is made up, doesn't mean
it isn't real".

[As amusing as the "SKI" tag may be, in a world where real impairment
is a serious issue, I'll bet some people may not find it funny.  Why
not just be polite and provide a translation and leave it at that?]

-

 joel anderson * [email protected] * [email protected]
 mIghghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ; roj yInej 'ej Dochvam yItlha'
   http://members.aol.com/JPKlingon  [email protected]
   GALACTIC LANGUAGES: [email protected]