tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 15 20:47:54 1996

re: billions

I always get these ideas after I send mail away. I mentioned
that the SI system IMHO didn't follow the American system, but
the European system in my prior mail. Well, ofcourse it turns
out it doesn't follow either.
A million in SI is ... a million, or 10E6 for the scientists.
A million ... cows would be mega cows, like in a million
bytes being megabytes.
A billion ships would be gigaDuj..sorry, gigaships and a
trillion (? 10E12) is tera-, followed by (memory is cracking now)
ptera- (10E15).
Under a million:
kilo(1000)
hecto(100)
deca(10)
-
deci(0.1)
centi(0.01)
milli(0.001)
micro (10E-6)
nano (10E-9)
pico (10E-12)
femto (10E-15)
yotto (10E-18) (this one might not be generallya ccepted)

ANd you ofcourse have gogol, after the sound a baby of some
engineer or mathematician made, representing 10E100 or for
normal people: a lot.

Not that this has got anything to do with tlhIngan Hol, just
had to show that I'm slowwitted, but not entirely stupid.
Most of the times.

I'll shut up.

Sorry for this.

jejQIb