tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 15 12:23:56 1996

Re: translation project

>Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 10:13:38 -0700
>From: "Donald E. Vick" <[email protected]>

>loD che'taHbogh Hoch yoSmey Hoch woQmey je che' wa' che'wI' pagh
>    'oH luche' ghom wIvbogh loDmey.

>>Similarly, though the English uses "man"/"men", that's only English
>>idiom for "people" (under fire now as sexist).  Why export English's
>>problems?  Stick with nuv or ghot.
>   Qo'.  Remember that this was written in 1513.  I don't think it's an
>idiom, I think that Nic actually meant "men."

You mean that Nicolo truly did not believe that countries and powers ruled
women?  Wow.  I had no idea he was such a female liberationist.  This is a
side of him I never saw.

>>It's pretty hard to follow; a disambiguating "-'e'" to flag
>>the head-nouns could help.
>   Where would that go again?  jIyajbe'.

You can tack the -'e' suffix on the head-noun of a relative clause to
disambiguate, so "puq'e' qIpbogh yaS" is "the child whom the officer hit",
which "puq qIpbogh yaS'e'" is "the officer who hit the child."

~mark

Back to archive top level