tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 08 06:06:19 1996

An interesting Scrabble idea

 > From: ur-valhalla!aol.com!DTrimboli
 > Subject: An interesting Scrabble idea
 > Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 14:59:51 -0700

 > Qob, I doubt that the letter distribution which we used at the qep'a'
 > was very good.  Actually, I had mentioned that the subject had come up
 > before on the mailing list.  I had saved two posts which counted letter
 > distributions, and they agree on most numbers.  I'll repost them here.

[snip]

Okay, thanks.

 > From: Jeremy Cowan <ur-valhalla!neiu.edu!J-Cowan>
 > Subject: An interesting Scrabble idea
 > Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 15:06:18 -0700

 > I used the distribution posted by M. Whiteacre
 > <[email protected]>.   I believe this distribution was based on the
 > frequency of particular  letters in the dictionary portion of the TKD
 > with each of the affixes  also added in once.  When players looked at

They do appear (at a quick glance through) to be fairly close to what SuStel
just posted.

 > the letter distribution  everyone said it looked wrong.  The biggest
 > complaint was the high number  of "'"'s (glottal stops).  However,
 > there were so many times that players  were dying for a "'"; I think
 > the complaint was discovered to be  unfounded.  The high values of

Indeed.  About the only change I would make in your distribution (short of
completely redoing it) would be to swap the quantities of ' and I.

 > improved.  I, personally, am not interested in  hearing the arguments
 > about how to create the "proper"  frequencies and values.  As was
 > frequently said during games at the  qep'a':  The frequencies and
 > values may not be perfect, but they make for  a great game!

They do indeed!

Thanks.

 > I'm going to St. Louis for Archon this weekend, but I'll try to post
 > the  final boards from the Scrabble games when I get back.

Please do!  Although you have to know the sequence of play to truly appreciate
some of the masterpieces on those boards.

|         la' Qob sutai-qutvaj       tlhIngan wo' Duj quttaj ra'wI'     |
| Qojbogh tlhIngan ghom, maS Hurgh yo', *Northern* jogh, jogh boQDu''a' |
|                  === tlhIngan Hol yejHaD ghojwI' ===                  |
|               Fido: Bill Willmerdinger, 1:2613/477.1701               |
|         E-mail: [email protected]   [email protected]         |