tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 08 12:55:11 1996

Re: virtus vera nobilitas (again)

On Tue, 8 Oct 1996 Roger Cheesbro <[email protected]> wrote:

> I originally did not include the English translation hoping for a response
> from the Latin speaking community, someone that could give a translation
> from the 'original' Latin, so as to not lose anything in translating a
> translation (did I lose anyone in that sentance?).
[...]
> <virtus vera nobilitas> = <virtue is true nobility>
> one of the gravestones even wrote it as <Virtue is true greatness>
> (A saying that could apply to a Klingon's honor)

Since I haven't seen any other responses, and since I do know a
smattering of Latin, I'd like to take a stab at this. Take what I say
with a grain of salt; I am a new student to Klingon.

<virtus vera nobilitas> -> <chuQun teH 'oH toDuj'e'>

I think that <chuQun> fits the Latin <virtus> much better than the
weak English word <virtue> does. I'm not really very satisfied with <teH>
though. I think that <teH> means to be true in the sense of being
correct, or accurate -- whereas <vera> is in the sense of being real, or
actual. Perhaps a better translation might be <chuQun 'oHbej toDuj'e'>
or <chuQun 'oHchu' toDuj'e'>.

What do the experts think?

                     __/><-=-  http://www.tiac.net/users/jota/  =-><\__
                       \><-= [email protected]  --  Finger for PGP =-></

Back to archive top level