tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 03 15:03:17 1996

Re: An interesting Scrabble idea

On Thu, 3 Oct 1996, Qob wrote:
> I'd like to make my own Klingon Scrabble set.
> Jeremy, you brought the set, didn't you?  Could you post
> the tile frequencies for us?

I used the distribution posted by M. Whiteacre <[email protected]>.
I believe this distribution was based on the frequency of particular
letters in the dictionary portion of the TKD with each of the affixes
also added in once.  When players looked at the letter distribution
everyone said it looked wrong.  The biggest complaint was the high number
of "'"'s (glottal stops).  However, there were so many times that players
were dying for a "'"; I think the complaint was discovered to be
unfounded.  The high values of certain letters is a little artificial,
being raised only because there are characters with those values in the
DI'vI' Hol version.  But in DI'vI' Hol, those characters are particularly
rare and difficult to use.  That's not necessarily true in tlhIngan
Hol.  Some may complain that these frequencies and values are not very
good and could be improved.  I, personally, am not interested in
hearing the arguments about how to create the "proper"
frequencies and values.  As was frequently said during games at the
qep'a':  The frequencies and values may not be perfect, but they make for
a great game!

    Letter  Number  Value
    '       6       1
    a       12      1
    b       2       3
    ch      2       4
    D       3       2
    e       8       1
    gh      3       2
    H       6       1
    I       8       1
    j       3       2
    l       4       2
    m       3       1
    n       2       4
    ng      1       10
    o       8       1
    p       2       4
    q       2       3
    Q       1       8
    r       2       3
    S       3       2
    t       3       3
    tlh     1       10
    u       6       1
    v       3       1
    w       2       4
    y       2       4
    blank   2       0

I'm going to St. Louis for Archon this weekend, but I'll try to post the
final boards from the Scrabble games when I get back.

janSIy

Back to archive top level