tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 01 20:40:07 1996

Re: bom vIchenmoH

ghItlh ~mark
>>From: "Donald E. Vick" <[email protected]>
>>DaH maSvaD wIjach, wIjach
> What do we shout to the moon?  Do you mean "majach"?
     HIja'. DaH maSvaD majach, majach

>>maSvaD jachqu' 'Iwma'
> I'll take this as poetic license, treating one's blood as
> language-capable.
     That's how I meant it, I am aware of the irregularity of <'Iwma'>.

>>maSvaD jachlu' taHjaj
> Hmm? Too many main verbs.  "something shouts to the moon may-it-continue."
> Is this supposed to be two sentences?  That's okay, but punctuation helps.
     Do I need an <'e'> in there? It's supposed to be something like, "May
there always be someone to shout to the moon."

>>qaStaHvIS jaj wItaynIS
> "pem" is "daytime"; "jaj" is the complete day.
> "we must be-civilized it"?  I think you want "mataynIS" here.
     qaStaHvIS pem mataynIS

> >HurghwI' loDnI'raj peja'
> Do you want yIja'?  I'm a little confused by the last sentence.  Tell
> darkness' your brother?  SHould it be "loDnI'ra'", if the brother is
> sentient?
     "Say that the darkness is your brother" vIHech. chaq <jatlh> vIlo'nIS.
This line was hard to fit into the tune.  I started with <HurghwI' loDnI' 'e'
peja'> but there was no possessive in that.  I think loDnI'ra' *is* better.

taDI'oS vIq, law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
|  Thaddaeus A. Vick, Linguist to the Masses   | mailto: [email protected]  -or-  |
|                                              |         [email protected]     |
|  gules, on a saltire argent voided azure,    |                              |
|  thirteen mullets of the second. Yeeha.      |  http://www.crl.com/~dvick   |