tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 26 19:35:57 1996

Re: --no subject--

[email protected] (Stephen) writes:
>qabqu' Hogh Qav.

"The final week is/was very bad".
{Hogh Qav} seems to mean "the very last week", not "the most recent week";
I think the latter is what you wanted.  I use {Hogh rIn} for that meaning.
I haven't changed {Qav} in the rest of this note, but it still doesn't sit
right with me.

>Hogh Hoch SIS.

"It rained all of the week."  Okay.  Some people might argue that you need
to say *what* was raining; if you agree with them, consider {muD} or {chal}.
It's probably fine to just drop in the time description, but if you want to
be really unambiguous and clear, you might say {qaStaHvIS Hogh SIS}.  You
might also say {...SIStaH} if you want to emphasize that it was raining
continuously.

>Hogh Hoch Qav vIleghbe' jaj Huv.

"I don't see the final everything of the week; a clear day."  The word
order here is pretty confused.  If "a clear day" is what you didn't see,
then {jaj Huv} is the object of {vIleghbe'} and has to come before it.
Assuming we can put {Hoch} after a noun to indicate "all of" that noun,
it should follow {Hogh Qav}: {Hogh Qav Hoch jaj Huv vIleghbe'}.  This is
wordy enough that I'd change it to be a little less ambiguous:
{qaStaHvIS Hogh Qav Hoch not jaj Huv vIlegh}.

>jIqeq neh.

"I merely practice."  There's nothing mere about it; you practiced well.
(But remember to watch your spelling -- there's no letter {h} in Klingon.)

>p.S. rep vItlhap *email*vam vIghItlhmeH

I admire your sticking to it, but I need to point out a grammar issue and a
couple of vocabulary items.  Purpose clauses using {-meH} *always* precede
what they are modifying (see TKD 6.2.4).  We commonly translate "email" or
"message" using the word {jabbI'ID}.  And {tlhap} pretty clearly refers to
physically obtaining possession of an object; the meaning you're apparently
trying for could be indicated with {lo'}.

One more thing -- your notes often arrive without subject headers.  If they
were appropriately labelled, I'd be much happier (not that it's your job to
make me happy by any means!).