tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 26 15:01:25 1996

Re: Klingon CD ROM Question

ghItlh Rick Rottman:
> The new Star Trek:Klingon CD has Klingon words that are mispronounced?
>
> I am new to this group.  I just joined the KLI last week.  I bought the
> Klingon Dictionary a few weeks back and have been trying to teach myself
> the language.  I was having quite the time trying to learn the proper
> pronunciation of the words.  The *ONLY* reason that I bought the CD Rom was
> because it contained the Klingon Language Lab.  I have been using it to
> learn the proper pronunciation.

No, you did not make a mistake.  Star Trek: Klingon is a good tool to learn
tlhIngan Hol (since it's by Marc Okrand) and it's fun.  Robert O'Reilley, might
have mispronounced a word or two (from what I hear), but it is still a good
program.  I would recommend you purchasing Conversational Klingon, or listening
to the Power Klingon CD (I have heard that the CD-ROM also plays as the audio
"Power Klingon"), as these are good sources for pronounciation.

ghItlh Joel A.:
>This product is a far more official source than any of the KLI, being
>both a filmed Star Trek (well, video'd) product, as well as an Okrand
>written tool.

True it is very official because it is Paramount/S&S, and it is an excellent
tool because it is written by Okrand, but the pronounciation will not always be
the best because it depends on the actors. (But thank God it isn't Michael Dorn)

ghItlh Paul C.:
>Is it true that there is a Klingon Language CD-ROM?
>If so, who manufactured it, what is the ordernumber
>and what does it cost?
>Can you tell me more about the Klingon Dictionary. I'd like to purchase it
>but to order it I have to know which company created it and what their
>ordernumber is. Could you help out?

Yes it is true.  The CD "Star Trek: Klingon", is, I believe, manufactured by
Simon&Schuster Interactive and should cost anywhere aroun $50.
The Klingon Dictionary is written by Marc Okrand (that's the guy who created the
language based on Scotty's words from Star Trek: The Motionless Picture).  It is
published by Pocket Books (a division of Simon&Schuster), it costs $10, and the
ISBN# is 0-671-74559-X.  You should be able to find the CD-ROM at a local
Computer store and the dictionary at a local book store (in the US that is since
I am not sure where you live).  Also, you can purchase the dictionary through
the KLI at their website (http://www.kli.org).

Qapla'
-chIya'ghu

Back to archive top level