tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 14 22:51:53 1996

RE: To greet or not to greet? Revisited

beHwI"av writes:
>I think you may of seen my little discussion with ghunchu'wI', when I said
>you can start a may with "I want (it)..." {yIneH}, but ghunchu'wI' and
>others said that I may use it...

If I remember correctly, I said something like "You can certainly use it, but
I'm not sure I'd understand you."  I'm also pretty sure you didn't translate
"I want" as {*yI*neH}, which means something like "Hey you -- want it!"  The
proper prefix, of course, is {vI-} for "I want it" (or {jI-} for "I want").

If I were trying to act like a Klingon, I still wouldn't preface a message
with anything.  I'd start with the message itself.