tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 14 15:46:52 1996

RE: To greet or not to greet? Revisited

At 06:30 AM 13/6/96 -0700, you wrote:
>sajatlh (or perhaps more correctly: saghItlh)
>
>Sorry to jump in on this discussion, especially since this is my first
post, but I seem to
>remember seeing somewhere that another greeting that could be used is
qajatlh (I'm talking to
>you), and perhaps by extrapolation qaghItlh (I'm writing to you) on paper,
email, etc.

I think you may of seen my little discussion with ghunchu'wI', when I said
you can start a may with "I want (it)..." {yIneH}, but ghunchu'wI' and
others said that I may use it, however seeing as Mark Okrand said that there
is only one greeting {nuqneH}, it would be wrong to use it as a greeting, in
any way or form.

>This seems to make sense as a way for a Klingon to begin a conversation of
whatever sort.
>It's short, direct, and to the point, but still serves to get the other's
attention.

I find {yIneH} much better, but I never use it.

Qapla' (I'm a member, even if you don't know of what...)

beHwI"av (This proves it...)

Back to archive top level