tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 13 10:17:40 1996

Re: To greet or not to greet? The canonical questi

I was going to quote, but SuStel's message was very very long. Stop
using America as Earth. Please. It is not Earth. In Jamaica if you come
up to me I will ask, what do you want? If I see you, I might say
something like 'what's happening?' or something that cuts through, as
you won't find ANY amenities in patois--the street language of Jamaica.
Though the upper class and educated people on formal occassions will use
amenities, in non-formal speech, in casual occassions, I can go to the
door and open it and say, 'yeah? what do you want?' and it is not rude
(save to very aristocratic people).
Please please stop using American culture as Terran culture, then
contrasting it to a non-Terran culture. Just as with Star Trek the use
of American actors, (most often WASPs in mufti) tends to destroy their
'alieness' to those of us who are accustomed to seeing people who are
not WASPS and who, as the average Jamaican are a mixture of races, I
don't wish the Kli to repeat that error.
Please try not to be so culture locked.
thank you.

Back to archive top level