tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 13 10:21:31 1996

RE: To greet or not to greet? The canonical question

I must agree with those who have quoted TKD, in that "nuqneH", by the very
definition given on P10, is the only phrase that can be used as in
introduction.

The only way I can read it is that "nuqneH" would be used by the person being
approached, should they be the one to initiate the conversation or should they
be unsure what the person approaching them wants (maybe a Terran has just
walked up and said "Hi"). Were the person approaching someone (in this case,
someone posting to the list) to be the one initiating the conversation, they
would start by stating their business, as all of the canon sources available
seem to say, without any form of greeting whatsoever.

Being a newbie, I'm open to correction on any of this.

Matt
Matthew Thomason
[email protected]
http://users.aol.com/MRThomason
Commander Max Mortimer, USS Lafayette, Virtual Trek.

Enterprise Dragon -==(UDIC)==-

Virtual Trek AGM - Commodore Matthew Thomason
	[email protected]

Star Wars: Encounters Assistant Moderator
	[email protected]
bISovbejbe'DI' tImer.
When in doubt, surprise them.