tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 13 10:10:42 1996

Re[2]: To greet or not to greet? The canonical que

TL>>Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 11:08:56 -0700
TL>>Sender: [email protected]
TL>>From: [email protected] (Frank M Truelove)
TL>>To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
TL>>Subject: Re[2]: To greet or not to greet? The canonical question
TL>>
TL>>Quoting Thomas M. Zeman throughout:
TL>>
TL>>"     I disagree completely.  CK makes it quite clear that the most
TL>>appropriate way to begin a conversation in tlhIngan Hol is to "simply
TL>>state your business.  No more and no less."  PK states that
TL>>superfluous chit chat makes the speaker seem duplicitous."
TL>>Alright.  Let's assume that a beginning has the TKD.  I suspect this is a s
TL>>assumption.  I further suspect that beginners don't start with CK and/or PK
TL>>draw from.
TL>>
TL>>So, to a beginner armed only with TKD, using nuqneH IS perfectly valid.
TL>>
TL>>"     I agree that newbies should not be treated rudely, and I don't think
TL>>they have been,"
TL>>They have.  Ask them if they have.  I think they'll say yes.
TL>Unfortunately, the
TL>>newbies who perceive themselves to have been flamed will run.  We're not
TL>likely
TL>>to get a chance to ask them their opinion or to apologize for our blunt and
TL>>overbearing nature [as Klingons].
TL>>
TL>>Further, while "this is a KLINGON list", we are not Klingons.  While "Kling
TL>>would correct mistakes swiftly, forcefully, and immediately" we are members
TL>of a
TL>>non-profit organization largely dependent on volunteers for its survival.
TL>That
TL>>is the reality.
TL>>
TL>>If we want things done there are two ways they will get done.  Recruit from
TL>>amongst the ranks of enthusiastic newbies or do everything ourselves.
TL>Which way
TL>>is more efficient, Klingons?
TL>>
TL>>--Acts of bang.  [bangteH]
TL>>
TL>>ghIlab gewmey tIbuSQo'

TL>Qapla'

TL>K'tulu chIjwI'
I was a newbie, sometime a few months ago, and considering my pitiful
grasp of the language may always be a newbie. However, I will not
condemn the users for staying in 'character' on a "Mush".
Firstly, a MUSH is a multiuser Hallucination, so one is 'supposed' to
feel they are on a Klingon world. Those who run, would run anyway, or
use the MUSH, (as a couple of users have) as a cybersex venue, since it
provides a Hotel--{this is something that happened to me--as two users
were 'shagging' (the word of one) in my pa' at the Hotel--(DaQtIq is
also a witness to this abuse of the MUSH).
if people want to do this, there are 908 MUSH sites where they can, this
one should be more of an exposure to the language and culture--for after
all, where else in the Universe can someone get the Klingon experience?
As to nuqneH--as I said before, in Jamaica, 'what do you want?" is the
opening for many many many people--in fact, it is something I say
myself. To condemn it is to display a far too Western Orientation of the
"How do you do?" type.

Back to archive top level