tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 13 10:09:49 1996

RE: new here

According to Alan Anderson

>I don't follow you.  What do you mean by a "modifying noun"?  If you consider
>"Klingon" to be a modifying noun in "Klingon language", the "modifying noun"
>comes first.

Yes -- OK -- no problem -- I apologize for being so "imprecise"

>"most of the 23rd century" being {tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH wej HochHom}
>(Skybox card S15 as reprinted in HolQeD 4:3).  And then The Klingon Way went
and >said things like {Hoch 'ebmey tIjon} for "Capture all opportunities."
Now it seems >that either {Hoch} acts like a number or there is some hitherto
unknown grammar at >work.

I would interpret HochHom (most) more as an adverbal.  Since Hoch is a noun
"in itself" I would use the rules of noun consturction like in the Klingon Way
-- "Hoch 'ebmey tIjon."  Hoch Dochmey --  All things     Hoch tlhIngan -- All
Klingons, etc.  To imply unknown grammar at work seems a bit of a reach.

>TKD doesn't say {bID} is a number.  {wa'} is a number, but {bID} is just a
>noun.  Until we find out why {Hoch} is used in front of nouns, there isn't
>a good argument in favor of using {bID} the same way.

It does however say that numbers are treated as nouns.   wa' tlhIngan is one
Klingon and follows the rules of noun consturction.  bID is a noun and
therefore it would follow that bID tlhIngan means half Klingon.