tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 06 09:21:18 1996

Re: Klingons and Terrans

On Wed, 5 Jun 1996 Redhawk wrote:

> I was wondering how Humans rate in the Klingon society.  Are they treated as
> equals when they attain honour?  Is the honour given to terran's the same as
> honour given to Klingon's?  Is there a sort of "untouchable" racial
> distinction for some terran's that means that Klingon's will have nothing to
> do with such a person?  How willing are Klingon's to introduce Terran's into
> their society?  Are the Terran's less likely to be incorporated into the
> Klingon society than other races? (I doubt Ferengi would get in before
> Human's).  Just some of the many questions that go through my mind...

     Hmm, a bit off topic, but an interesting question.  From what we've
seen in the shows, plus from what has been said on the audio tapes, it
would seem that *most* Klingons are quite tolerant of Terrans and have no
problems interacting with them.  This of course assumes that the Terran is
well versed in proper behavior, which seems to be the most important
factor, despite the Klingon distrust of strangers.  I also got the
impression from the audio tapes, that Klingons seem to be fond of testing
Terrans that they do interact with to see if they will react properly.  On
one of the tapes, I think it's PK, a Terran at a Klingon dinner is asked
if he knows any stories.  I get the impression that he's asking to see if
the Terran is familiar with that aspect of Klingon culture.  It's like a
series of subtle challenges to the Terran, who behaves admirably and is
"the hit of the party".
     Naturally, some Klingons would never accept a Terran living among
them, but if it couldn't happen then why would the tapes go to such
lengths to tell you how to behave at important Klingon social gatherings?
(Other than it being a Star Trek product sold in shopping malls, that is!)

Thomas M. Zeman                         " reH nuHmey tu'lu' "

Chairman, Connecticut Division, United States Fencing Association
Prime Minister, Fat Dog Fencing Club, Wallingford, CT

University of Bridgeport:  Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA
EMAIL:  [email protected]  and/or  [email protected]
PGP Public Key:  0145FDE5  (Keyfile available upon request)

Back to archive top level