tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 01 20:21:27 1996

Re: New here

kaylar writes:
><america'ngan yIttaHDaq <Kingston>
>ghaHlegh <jamaica'ngan>
>jatlh Jamaica'ngan --"nuqneH?"
>mon America'nganvIpmo'.
>jupbe'Jamaica'ngan
>"<Law Street?> vam'a'?" tlhob America'ngan
>jatlh Jamaica'ngan "nuqnIS bISovvaD'a'?"
>teHBoQvam.
>America'ngan jathbe', 'ach Jamaica'ngan jatlhna'.
>(pitiful attempt toe xpress something in tlhIngan by me)

Can you tell me *what* you were trying to express?  I could probably
guess by trying to translate individual syllables independently, and
it does seem to yield something sensible that way, but I don't think
it would be very productive.

Actually, I'm saving this "pitiful attempt" -- because I like it.  I
think it looks a lot like what a blend of Jamaican "street talk" and
Klingon might be.  It's complete nonsense if you try to apply normal
grammatical rules to it, but it might carry a rather unambiguous and
lucid meaning with a somewhat modified (and much looser) grammar.