tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 28 21:21:04 1996

Re: From/to (was KLBC: Sentence for Martial Arts Project.)

At 09:36 AM 8/25/96 -0700, William H. Martin wrote:
[...]
>> Maybe it is my "English-centered" thinking, but I see absolutely nothing
>> wrong with what I gave here.  I don't see the "trap" to which you are
>> referring at all.
>
>The trap as I see it is that you tried to translate word for
>word from the English to the Klingon without considering that
>another casting could have been a lot clearer. There is nothing
>grammatically wrong with {nIHvo' poSDaq} in a sentence, but in
>this particular sentence, it doesn't convey meaning very well.
>
>In particular, {-Daq} seems to carry both the sense of goal of
>motion and the sense of static location, while {-vo'} always
>evokes a sense of motion "from". In this sentence, there is no
>motion (except perhaps in the eyes of the viewer, since they
>might move from one side to the other while noticing the
>sequence).

Once again, charghwI', you managed to explain someting in terms which I
could understand a bit better.

>From this explaination (and what followed, which I clipped), I can see why
you and ~mark expressed concern over the translation I gave.  I certainly
never thought of "from right to left" as "idomatic" before... but then, I
when I translated this, the "motion" was clear to me.  For some reason, I
didn't see this concern for the concept of "motion" (or the concern for it's
lack, nor even that it WAS lacking) associated with -Daq in ~mark's post
(sorry, Mark! {{:( ).  Once again, I owe you for translating "linguistese"
into a concept I can understand. {{:)

As for the sentence in the first place...

DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'.

(Strike one!)

--tQ

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet
Klingon speaker and net junkie!
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level