tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 28 21:20:59 1996

Re: Klingonaase

At 08:48 AM 8/25/96 -0700, McReynolds wrote:
[...]

I'm no expert, but here are my "takes":

>	{qomereQ} = komerex

Same.

>	{HeStereQ} = khesterex (but I've also seen {qest'reQ} = khesterex
>[don't like this one, due to the apostrophe between two consonants]).

I don't either.  The ?t'r? would (from what I can tell) be as difficult for
a Klingon to pronounce as "tzr" would be to an English-speaker.  I'd
definitely go with the first one you mentioned (some people like to throw an
extra ' in there, just 'cause it looks cool...).

>	{ghI'dayIt} = g'dayt

I'd take the <I> out and replace the <t> with <'>:  ghI'day'

I think that those better with phonetics would disagree with me, though.

>	{tlhIngana'S} = klingonaase ({-a'S} = -aase?)

I don't like the ' in there for the same reason as above.  Perhaps
tlhInganayS or tlhInganaS?  I have heard this word pronounced several
different ways.

>	{qay} = kai (but I've also seen {qaI'} = kai)

The way I have heard most peeple pronounce it, definitely the first.

>So, does anyone have a more definite (or more official) transliteration?

I'm not an expert; this is all just from myobservations about how things
sound, etc.

> If not, might one have a set off concrete rules for making such phonetic
>transliterations?

Other than knowing what sounds are represented by the letters you are using?
Not really.  I try to follow a CVC pattern as much as is feasible, and I try
to avoid double consonants (except -rgh and the tr- at the beginning of my
name, which I created before I even knew Hol existed...) and double vouwls,
except when I think the pronounciation is pretty clear that one is required.
Again, that's just MY rules-of-thumb.

>-McReynolds

--tQ

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet
Klingon speaker and net junkie!
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level