tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 26 02:39:42 1996

Re: Khamlet vs Hamlet

On Sun, 25 Aug 1996 13:01:24 -0700,

> Because English does not have the sound which is represented by Klingon
>{H}, there is no letter or combination of letters associated with it. So,
> different combinations appear depending upon who the translator (or
> transliterator) is, what language is being transliterated, how much coffee
> the translator has had to drink recently, etc.
>
> My big dictionary, for one, uses /kh/ to represent {H} in pronunciation
> guides.
>
> SuStel
> Stardate 96652.2

Which is why Okrand used different languages to give the proper pronunciation
of this letter on page 14 of the TKD. Bach (German), l'chaim (Yiddish), baja
and
Tijuana (Spanish). Even the Russian X is pronounced similarly, as in the word
xopowo (russian for 'good'.) Americans are good at slaughtering pronunciation
of foreign words.

Back to archive top level