tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 25 21:44:07 1996

Re: Klingonaase

nutlhob McReynolds:
>Since it is alledgedly in the charter, I was wondering if there is a KLI
>transliteration of the klingonaase words from "The Final Reflection" (or
>at least a respectable one, if not KLI).  I have seen a lot of one-word
>transliterations or partial lists (some of which contradict themselves or
>others), but I'm wondering if there is a full listing.  For example, I've
>seen the following, at least:
>	{qomereQ} = komerex
>So, does anyone have a more definite (or more official) transliteration?
>If not, might one have a set off concrete rules for making such phonetic
>transliterations?

jImISlaw'.  They're *different* languages.  Why would you want to
transliterate one language according to the orthography of the other?  How
would you transliterate French into Vietnamese?  Just mark them as
"foreign" (say with **'s or <>'s) as we currently do when dropping in a
word of {DIvI' Hol}.

(O.K. I *can* see the use of having a way to refer to {klingonaase} when
using {tlhIngan Hol}.  [But just this one word, though.]  Most languages
do have their own way of referring to other languages:  we say "Russian"
instead of "russkii iazyk" and the Russians say "angliiskii iazyk" for
"English", we say "Hebrew" instead of "'ivrit" while Israelis say "anglit"
and not "English".  How have others been handling this?)

Don't take this to mean that I'm not interested in {klingonaase}--I most
definitely am.  I've collected every word I can find from John Ford (both
in _The Final Reflection_ as well as all the Klingon modules in the old
FASA role-playing game he wrote), Lynda Carraher's 1989 _Writer's Guide to
Klingonaase_, and all of Ann Schwader's stories and novels. (Schwader is
one of the few fan writers who continued to develop Ford's {klingonaase}
vision of the Klingons, even after Paramount went off with the
brow-ridged, {tlhIngan Hol}-speaking "Imperial Race".  Her work is
definitely worth reading.  In fact, three volumes of her Neysa and Karan
stories have been collected and recently republished by Poison Pen Press.
Write me for details.)  But all of this is still only 30-odd pages of
isolated nouns and verbs, a few grammatical affixes, and several phrases.
There is still no real {klingonaase} grammar to work with.

Has anyone else had any more success?

 Steven L. Boozer              | The fact that an opinion has been widely
 University of Chicago Library | held is no evidence whatever that it is
 [email protected]   | 		      -- Bertrand Russell

Back to archive top level