tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 24 15:58:46 1996

Re: KLBC: Order of nouns about 'oH, etc

At 02:55 PM 8/21/96 -0700, dpNoll wrote:

>I write:
>>> Isn't it a little better to answer a question about one noun
>>> by emphasizing a -new- noun?
>
>>"What's your name?"
>>
>>"My name?  You want to know my name?  I'll tell you my name.  My name is
>>Corey."
>>
>>That's essentially what I mean.  This would be {*Corey* 'oH pongwIj'e'}.
>
>But that would be saying "My name, not my parrot, not my spam, is Corey".
>Apologies for the silly example. To emphasize the actual name, which is
>really what the other person wants to know, you'd put the {-'e'} on that..
>{pongwIj'e' 'oH *Corey*'e'}
>
>Maybe some people aren't used to this, as the word order is then the same
>as in English...

I've seen this, and used it.  It is grammatically correct, and perhaps a bit
"archaic" sounding in English... but it IS correct.

Honestly, I don't see why it would be incorrect in Klingon, either.  We
really have no strictures one way or the other on what goes with the -'e'
(that I know of) in this structure.

I know this has been bantered around quite a bit these last few days, and I
really do apologize for being "absent".  I had an RL comitment Thursday
night, and only just now got all the mail read, so Expect a number of posts
from my tonight. :)

--tQ

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet
Klingon speaker and net junkie!
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level