tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 22 11:36:57 1996

Re: British Klingon! (Interview with Okrand)

>Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 11:03:47 -0700
>From: Niall Hosking <[email protected]>

>Following on with the premier British television magazine 'Radio Times'
>doing a special for Star Trek's 30th Anniversary, they have published a
>special 168 page book for the price of #6.99 pounds sterling. In it, is

Neat!!

>The most interesting bit from this list's viewpoint is a 4-page spread
>where Mark Okrand is interviewed by 'Radio Times'. It mentions some
>interesting facts about the language's origin (based on influences from
>American Indian, Chinese, and Southeast Asian languages) as taken from

I wish I could see this... Oh!  If I can get a letter through in time; I
have a friend from England coming in tomorrow...

>James Doohan and Mark Lenard. Mention is made of the KLI, as well as
>Glen Proechel's summer Language Camps, and of the various tlhIngan Hol
>products available. There is even a discussion of 'klingonaase', which
>Okrand likes! (He says that it's good to see that people are realising
>that in an 'Empire', there would be more than *one* language form.)

Very cool.  The KLI has always (so far as I know) considered Klingonaase as
part of its charter, if anyone knew enough of it.

>1.  We are U.K. Klingons!	wo' tay' tlhInganpu' maH!
>   We are together Empire Klingons!

"together-empire"/United Kingdom (WOW... when I typed this just now I typed
"Klingon" instead of "Kingdom".  Eep).... that works.

>3.  Give us a kiss, love.	HIchop, bang.
>   Bite me, love.

See below

>6.  Not bloody likely!		ghaytanHa' jay'!
>   Not &*@%# likely!

Did he mention ghaytanHa' already in HolQeD?  I think so.  Either way, it's
a GOOD word to have.  "Unlikely" is a nice thing to know.

>10. What has Lady Di done now?	DaH nuq ta'pu' Day joH?
>   What has Lord/Lady Di accomplished now? (the title "joH".
>   meaning "Lord", is also used for a woman, ie. "Lady")

Ah, good.  I wanted to have "joH" for females (hmm, maybe it was "qaH" I
expected.  Either way.  I think we have it that way in Hamlet).

>In summary, there is some new vocabulary (at least, new usages [a la
>TKW])

>wo' tay'		United Kingdom (n)
>chop			kiss (n)

It's a verb, and used as a verb in the sentence.  Moreover, I don't buy
that Okrand says that "chop" *means* "kiss"; especially given the more
literal translation given it looks like he's giving a cultural analogue.
Klingons don't ask their loved-ones for kisses, but a nice friendly
bite...

~mark

Back to archive top level