tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 22 12:29:44 1996

Re: British Klingon! (Interview with Okrand)

> >James Doohan and Mark Lenard. Mention is made of the KLI, as well as
> >Glen Proechel's summer Language Camps, and of the various tlhIngan Hol
> >products available. There is even a discussion of 'klingonaase', which
> >Okrand likes! (He says that it's good to see that people are realising
> >that in an 'Empire', there would be more than *one* language form.)
>
> Very cool.  The KLI has always (so far as I know) considered Klingonaase as
> part of its charter, if anyone knew enough of it.

It would be interesting to see what we can do with this....do we have
any klingonaase compiled anywhere?

> >3.  Give us a kiss, love.	HIchop, bang.
> >   Bite me, love.
>
> See below
>
> >6.  Not bloody likely!		ghaytanHa' jay'!
> >   Not &*@%# likely!
>
> Did he mention ghaytanHa' already in HolQeD?  I think so.  Either way, it's
> a GOOD word to have.  "Unlikely" is a nice thing to know.

I don't recall off-hand...

> >10. What has Lady Di done now?	DaH nuq ta'pu' Day joH?
> >   What has Lord/Lady Di accomplished now? (the title "joH".
> >   meaning "Lord", is also used for a woman, ie. "Lady")
>
> Ah, good.  I wanted to have "joH" for females (hmm, maybe it was "qaH" I
> expected.  Either way.  I think we have it that way in Hamlet).
>
> >In summary, there is some new vocabulary (at least, new usages [a la
> >TKW])
>
> >wo' tay'		United Kingdom (n)
> >chop			kiss (n)
>
> It's a verb, and used as a verb in the sentence.  Moreover, I don't buy

Oops, I meant it should have been a verb.

> that Okrand says that "chop" *means* "kiss"; especially given the more
> literal translation given it looks like he's giving a cultural analogue.
> Klingons don't ask their loved-ones for kisses, but a nice friendly
> bite...

Well, where we would kiss, they might bite...it fits with the way they
'love'...however, it still fits, given where we have made similar
extrapolations from TKW etc...that was *exactly* what Okrand trasnlated
it as, so to me that's good enough...though personally I'll stick with
{roS}... [which was used in that sense in "House of Quark"]

> ~mark

qSeroHS {Scot}'e'
--
Niall Hosking
aka Kserokhs Vaene

'Practise random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.'

Back to archive top level