tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 16 10:39:12 1996

Re: KLBC: History....

>Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 19:40:27 -0700
>From: [email protected] (HoD trI'Qal)

>>> Me too... Clipped Klingon?
>>
>>Considering that it's a proverb, I'm not suprised that it does not conform
>>(remember MO's excuse for one of the other anomalies?) to the general
>>grammar.

>I prefer to find an "existing" reason, rather than to go saying "LOOK!  NEW
>GRAMMAR!"  Or worse, "Okrand forgot it again! :("

I don't mind the third reason much; the second one should be used very
sparingly.

>Saying that it is "clipped" explains this using the rules we already have. :)

Yeah.  And I'll also buy that he just forgot it.

>>On the other hand, maybe using the single when the actual noun is quite
>>clearly plural means that "conquerors in general", like "the conqueror".

>Hm... this is an interesting theory... I will be interested to see where the
>debate on it goes... *props her feet up, and starts munching popcorn as she
>waits for the show...*

I don't buy it.  Not at this point. That's a "new grammar" answer, without
much to hold it up.  After all, remember this is in TKW, where Okrand was
clearly bending over backwards to make sure we saw every tiny deviation of
Klingon from the expected English or anything like that, to make sure we
would know just what he meant and where new features were being
introduced.  You can *hear* him talking to us as he nitpicks each tiny
oddity or even words that aren't translated *precisely* as their glosses.
He'd have said.

>>lapQa' (sorry about that, just saw the "anagrams" MPFC episode :) )

>Uh... I didn't understand any of this.  I realize that lapQa' is a
>perversion of Qapla', but I don't understad "anagram" or MPFC.  Private
>email is fine ([email protected])

anagram is a rearrangement of letters.  MPFC is Monty Python's Flying
Circus.

~mark

Back to archive top level