tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 06 05:39:56 1996

traitorous translators

 > From: Mark Mandel <ur-valhalla!dragonsys.com!Mark>
 > Subject: traitorous translators
 > Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 07:17:04 -0700

 > nughItlh la' Qob Sutay-qutvaj [I refuse to mix spelling systems!]:

I know how you feel.  The "honorifics" really don't fit into tlhIngan Hol that
well, and according to Okrand the rank should properly *follow* the name.
However, for better or worse, I am Cmdr. Qob sutai-qutvaj.

 > I had to look up the Italian, but "traduttori traditori" becomes
 > {maghwI'pu' chaH mughwI'pu''e'} in Hol.  Obviously, Okrand was
 > trying to remind us of something.  (Lawrence, perhaps we ought to
 > adopt an "unofficial" motto for the KSRP!  <g>)

 > 'IHqu' jay'! [That's $%^&in' LOVELY!]

Ain't it though?  I laughed for five solid minutes.  That *had* to be
deliberate!

|                         la' Qob sutai-qutvaj                          |
|                    tlhIngan wo' Duj quttaj ra'wI'                     |
| Qojbogh tlhIngan ghom, maS Hurgh yo', *Northern* jogh, jogh boQDu''a' |
|                  === tlhIngan Hol yejHaD ghojwI' ===                  |
|Fido: Bill Willmerdinger, 1:2613/477.1701  E-mail: [email protected] |

... You can't speak a language until you can swear fluently in it!

Back to archive top level