tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 19 18:46:43 1995

Re: how to say...

On Mon, 19 Jun 1995, Cristiano Paris wrote:

> Given that I have not the dictionary yet, how to say "Hi" or "Hello"
> in Klingon ?

Klingons have no words for greetings such as "Hello", "good morning",
"How are you".  In fact, Klingons do not use any polite social phrases at
all.  When two Klingons meet each other the closest thing to a greeting is
the phrase {nuqneH} which roughly means "What do you want?"

The {q} is a voiceless uvular stop, like a "k" made in the very back of
the throat.  The {H} is a voiceless velar fricative, like the "ch" in German.

They also don't say things like "please", "thank you" or "you're welcome"
and they don't have anything which means "goodbye".  The closest thing to
a farewell is the phrase {Qapla'} (Success!).

> Paris Cristiano can be found at the following addresses :

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level