tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 19 16:36:31 1995

Re: Klingon Dialects?

> >Klingon dialects. These included Rumaiym, Klingonii, Klinzhaii, WIjngan,
> >Daqawlu, and Kumburan.

Rumaiym/Kumburanya is a pair.  One is the ridgeheads, the other's aren't
visible.  I'm not sure it says which is which.

> I think you're right.  "Rumaiy" is the name of some tribe/family/<insert
> anthropological term> that appears in at least one ST novel; the example
> I can think of was by Vonda McIntyre.

Klingonii is probably from the Starfleet Medical Manual's homo klingonii

> The name "Klingonii" may have its
> origin in the line from "The Trouble with Tribbles"

> "Klinzhai" has appeared in at least one ST novel (the one that comes
> to mind is by Diane Duane) as the name of the Klingon homeworld.

Daqawlu (the Remembered, lit. you are remembered, TKD p 39) and WIjngan
(the Farmers?) are in a TOS novel or two....  Someone actually attempted
to use proper Hol, they should be honored :-)

Back to archive top level