tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 19 09:47:16 1995

Re: How to transliterate Beowulf...

>Date: Sun, 18 Jun 1995 11:33:26 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: Alan Anderson <[email protected]>

>Hmm.  I used to like transliteration a lot, but now I find myself more
>in agreement with ~mark.  What's the point in making it harder to read?
>For example, can you figure out what I mangled to get {*ghubtIyDubtIy}?

"Humpty Dumpty"?

I can see the value of transliterating when you're doing important literary
work, since borrowed words there look bad.  But in casual conversation, I
think transliterating is the Wrong Thing.  I recall Krankor once
complaining when charghwI' described how he liked a computer game, "*Dum*".
OK, even if we know we're not to look this up in our TKD's, we're still
scratching our heads, trying to find a game called "Dum".  I could call up
my local computer store and read it out to them and they still might not
know what I'm talking about.

Don't lose sight of the main point: the point of language is to communicate
ideas.  If things are so obscure you need to know them before you read
them, you haven't accomplished the task.

>-- ghunchu'wI'

~mark

Back to archive top level