tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 18 08:18:02 1995

How to transliterate Beowulf...

David E G Sturm <[email protected]> wrote:
> [derivation and justification deleted]
> So for shortness' sake, how's {*be'wuv} look?

{*be'wuv} has 7 characters.  "Beowulf" has 7 characters.  Where's the
"shortness" you speak of?  Unless you want to render it in pIqaD, I see
no need to transliterate the name at all.  Even if you DO want to use
pIqaD characters, I don't see a need to mangle the sounds to conform to
the apparent "native" word-formation rules.

Hmm.  I used to like transliteration a lot, but now I find myself more
in agreement with ~mark.  What's the point in making it harder to read?
For example, can you figure out what I mangled to get {*ghubtIyDubtIy}?

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level